Jesus advised people not to rush for the best places at a feast in John 12:43. People today ae eager to raise their social status, whether by being with the right people. dressing for success, or driving the right car. Who is it we are really trying to impress? In John 13, Jesus gives us a living example of the true servants heart. We need to be challenged to determine to develop a servants heart. In order to develop such a heart you need to understand a few principles:
- 1. Know who you ae serving – John 13:1 Here we need to understand that we do our service for God.
- 2. Know why you are able to serve – John 13:3 We are able to do the things we do, not because we are great, but because we have a great God!
- Know the lessons of service – John 13:4-5 – You need to know what you are going to do, and how you are going to do it.
- Know not all will appreciate what you do – John 13:11 – Remember we do what we do for God not people
- Know that you establish an example by your actions – John 13:16 – Understand that people watch what we do, and imitate our behavior
C. S Lewis said, “When Christians behave badly, or fail to behave well, we are making Christianity unbelievable to the outside world.” Our responsibility is to learn to use the gifts that the Spirit of God has given us, for the benefit of others, and not attempt to manipulate those who are around us. It is God who will exalt us, but in the end our goal should be to hear, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant”